POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : collision detection : Re: collision detection Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: collision detection
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Feb 2001 07:59:43
Message: <3A965EBF.EDD947E8@gmx.de>
Tom Melly wrote:

> [...]
>
> I will see at the end of render "CSG Intersection succeeded = 0 " (if X>=1)
> or a positive value (if X<1).
>
> Now, for collision detection, we are not interested in textures or
> resolution. Would it not be fairly easy (?!?) to write a patch that would
> render two objects as an intersection and return the CSG intersection
> succeeded value?
>
> The "render" would not have to produce any image output and all textures,
> media, photons, radiosity, etc. could be ignored to speed up the process.
>
> Would this be slower/harder to implement than any of the other suggestions?

Rendering in this case does nothing more than searching for intersection
in a certain raster like the method i suggested. The problems are the
same, if the intersection is too small in relation to the render
resolution or the object is not visible in the render camera, the result
will be wrong.  Furthermore scanning the whole camera angle is much less
efficient than scanning only the intersection of the bounding boxes.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>